“Innovate or die.” That’s what Peter Drucker said, and I think a lot of people took that to mean that you have to create a company that disrupts an entire industry and that you should be looking for ways to innovate on your products and services like nobody has in the past, but I personally think that line was misunderstood.
I believe, in a lot of ways, what Drucker was talking about was a value that implies that you have to innovate like you have to be trustworthy. It has to be built into the core of how you serve your customers. Innovation should be looked at as optimization as opposed to disruption.
My guest for this week’s episode of the Duct Tape Marketing Podcast is David Robertson. He is on the faculty of the MIT Sloan School of Management, host of the Innovation Navigation podcast, and co-author of The Power of Little Ideas: A Low-Risk, High-Reward Approach to Innovation . He and I discuss why innovation must be at the core of how you serve your customers.
Robertson has been a student, teacher, and practitioner of the art of innovation for his entire career. He intends to bring brilliant minds worldwide to share their knowledge with him, and you, as they explore what companies can do to boost innovation.
Robertson is a frequent public speaker and serves as a consultant to companies on innovation and technology management issues. Among other journals, Robertson has been published in Harvard Business Review and MIT Sloan Management Review.
Questions I ask David Robertson:
- How would you describe what innovation is?
- Is there a time when innovation can be harmful?
- How can companies adjust to generational shifts?
What you’ll learn if you give a listen:
- How to look at innovation in a systematic way
- How to innovate if your product may be going away
- How to innovate with a service-based company
Key takeaways from the episode and more about David Robertson:
Are you an independent marketing consultant or an agency owner? If so, you may want to check out the Duct Tape Marketing Consultant Network. It is a growing group of independent marketing consultants and agencies that are partnering and collaborating using the Duct Tape Marketing tools, and really scaling their businesses. Check it out at ducttapemarketingconsultant.com .
- ^ Marketing Podcast with David Robertson (traffic.libsyn.com)
- ^ Podcast Transcript (www.ducttapemarketing.com)
- ^ The Power of Little Ideas: A Low-Risk, High-Reward Approach to Innovation (www.amazon.com)
- ^ give us a review on (itunes.apple.com)
- ^ ducttapemarketingconsultant.com (ducttapemarketingconsultant.com)
- ^ Subscribe on Apple Podcasts (itunes.apple.com)
- ^ Subscribe on Android (subscribeonandroid.com)