Does UX really make that much of a difference?
Besides being an important business question, there’s an entire industry of UX professionals who count on it making a difference. Sure, intuitively, we think it will. And there’s even survey data to support it .
But what about at the company-level?
Has anyone been able to measure the impact of UX on an actual company’s bottom line?
Bryce Miller of MasterControl, an enterprise quality management software company, has measured it. It happened on a template for 45 of their product pages. The team at MasterControl working with MECLABS , found that using the MECLABS conversion heuristic and focusing on friction (the element that is most commonly associated with traditional UX) generated a 52% increase in leads and $1,543,320 in sales pipeline growth.
The reason Miller can be so sure about his increase? He ran a valid test.
Here’s Miller’s control. It’s essentially a page template for content about their products. But it has a significant amount of friction in the process.
Control Sample: Standard Product Page Template
Treatment Sample: Updated UX and Reduced Friction
By making these small UX tweaks, Miller was able to generate an additional $1.5 million in sales pipeline.
What you need to understand
In this case, reducing friction with simple UX tweaks that helped users get to the right content on the page faster produced a significant result.
You May Also Like:
Website Optimization: How MasterControl ran a 45-page test to achieve a 52% lift  – The full MarketingSherpa Case Study for this test
How MasterControl got a 52% increase in leads From Key Pages in 3 months  – Miller’s first-hand account of this test on LinkedIn
- ^ survey data to support it (www.fastcodesign.com)
- ^ Bryce Miller of MasterControl, an enterprise quality management software company, has measured it. (www.marketingsherpa.com)
- ^ working with MECLABS (meclabs.com)
- ^ MECLABS conversion heuristic (www.meclabs.com)
- ^ focusing on friction (www.marketingexperiments.com)
- ^ MarketingSherpa Summit 2017 Speakers (www.marketingsherpa.com)
- ^ Website Optimization: How MasterControl ran a 45-page test to achieve a 52% lift (www.marketingsherpa.com)
- ^ How MasterControl got a 52% increase in leads From Key Pages in 3 months (www.linkedin.com)
- ^ The Web as a Living Laboratory (www.meclabs.com)
- ^ Twitter (twitter.com)
- ^ LinkedIn (www.linkedin.com)
- ^ Paul’s Posts (www.marketingexperiments.com)
- ^ Send a Letter to the Editor (www.marketingexperiments.com)
- ^ Analytics & Testing (www.marketingexperiments.com)